ICSE has formed partnerships with prestigious software engineering journals to incorporate journal-first papers into the ICSE program. Through this initiative, authors of journal-first papers accepted in the partnering journals will be invited to present their work at ICSE, thus providing an opportunity for the authors to engage directly with the community and offering the ICSE attendees an additional dimension to the research track program.
The journals that support the journal-first model as partners with ICSE are:
- IEEE Transaction of Software Engineering (IEEE TSE),
- ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology (ACM TOSEM),
- Empirical Software Engineering (EMSE).
Call for Contributions
A submission to the ICSE 2019 call for journal-first paper presentations must adhere to the following criteria:
- The associated accepted journal paper was submitted to a journal from the above list no earlier than June 1, 2017.
- The paper is in the scope of the conference.
- The paper reports completely new research results and/or presents novel contributions that significantly extend and were not previously reported in prior work; and
- The paper does not extend prior work solely with additional proofs or algorithms (or other such details presented for completeness), additional empirical results, or minor enhancements or variants of the results presented in the prior work.
- The paper has not been presented at, and is not under consideration for, journal-first programs of other conferences.
How to Submit
The authors of a paper that respects these criteria are invited to submit a one-page presentation proposal consisting of the paper’s title, the paper’s authors, an extended abstract, and a pointer to the original journal paper at the journal’s Web site. Submissions will open on November 1st 2018.
Authors will be invited to present their paper at ICSE 2019 after a check that the paper is in scope with respect to the conference. As the papers have been already reviewed and accepted by the journals, they will not be reviewed again for technical content. In case an exceptionally high number of submissions is received, not all will be selected. Priority will be given to the papers that best fit the technical program, offer a balance across the topics, and increase opportunities for authors to attend ICSE who might not otherwise attend.
- Submission opens: November 1, 2018
- Submission deadline: November 30, 2018
- Notification: January 15, 2019
- Submissions close at 23:59 AoE (Anywhere on Earth, UTC-12)
If a submission is accepted for the journal-first program, at least one author of the associated journal paper must register and attend the conference to present the paper. A journal-first presentation will be scheduled in a session with topically-related Technical Track papers, but will be allocated a short-paper time slot (comparable to the time slot allotted to a short paper, such as a NIER paper).
The journal-first manuscripts are published through the journals and will not be part of the ICSE proceedings. The journal-first papers will be listed in the conference program
- Betty H.C. Cheng, Michigan State University, USA