The ICSE2019 Student SE Mentoring Workshop (SSE-Mentor) is aimed at advanced undergraduates and first/second year graduate students. The goal of the workshop is to attract students to research careers in software engineering, to de-mystify the graduate school experience, and to offer first-hand perspectives on graduate study from recent Ph.D. graduates, young scholars, and senior researchers. Applicants from groups underrepresented in computing are especially welcome.
The workshop program will focus on important skills for beginning researchers and will offer mentoring opportunities with senior researchers attending the conference, discussing the topics:
- Why pursue a PhD degree and how to choose a research specialty area?
- What are the new emerging areas of research in software engineering?
- What are the differences/tradeoffs between a research career in industry, academia, government?
- How to network effectively at a conference?
- How to navigate graduate school toward a rewarding Ph.D.?
- How to create a good presentation?
- How to construct an awesome research paper?
Note: This is a closed workshop! You must apply in order to participate in SSE-Mentor@ICSE 2019! Applications will be available in January 2019.